Confessions of a Download Junkie
When do you know you are addicted to downloading?
- You wake up, make coffee (maybe), then hit the BBS’s
- You never read the bulletins on any BBS you log onto. Okay.. if the Sysop threatens you, then you scan them real quick.
- You never read a single message on any BBS, maybe one or two, but you really never read them, you scan them. And you hate to enter one, okay, maybe if it’s a quick one that asks for a phone number to another BBS you call and download from (this will keep your level up a little, right?)
- You download everything that is new, even if you don’t understand what the program will do.
- Your download / upload ratio always seems to be on the edge. Funny how some sysops keep giving me messages to upload?
- You’ve downloaded the same file more then once.
- You’ve downloaded the same file more then twice.
- You’ve called the same BBS more then once in a day (I forgot).
- You’ve called the same BBS more then twice in a day (hey! he might have gotten a new program in the last 15 minutes).
- You notice your hard drive is filling up with programs.
- You can’t remember what any of them are? or do?
- You never even unzip them to see what the program is!
- You have a closet full of unzipped disks (some dated back a year or two). Okay… maybe just a few shoe boxes full.
- You don’t care if you ever unzip any of them.
- You get your kicks from just downloading! (you like looking at the bar graph of Zmodem, beats TV, right!).
- You say to yourself, I’m a collector!! (so.. you have a lot of out dated programs).
- The wife is always saying, “Get off that #$%@ computer”.
- The grass is a foot high, but you have to get that NEW program.
- Your neighbors ask your wife, “What is that beeping I hear all night”. It’s you, the download was successful! .. Thank God!! I really needed
- When you are on vacation you bring your lap top with you.. hey! they might have something here I’ve never downloaded before.. right?
- You panic when anything happens to your modem.
- You panic when anyone goes near your computer or modem. Hey! some people give off a lot of static electricity.. don’t they?
- Your hard drive just crashed, your car needs a tune-up… the hard drive is in the shop, you’ll tune-up the car yourself.. next week!
- It’s four AM in the morning.. well I better go to bed now.. I have a bunch of files to download tomorrow.. I’m a collector
- Oops… is that the Sun I see rising? or somebodies headlights?
If you fall into any five of the above … welcome, fellow…
D O W N L O A D J U N K I E ! !